Country Director Lesotho (full time)
We are looking for an experienced development professional to lead our passionate team and manage our portfolio of projects addressing the Communicable and Non-Communicable Diseases burden in Lesotho.
Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment
Maseru, Lesotho (with regular travel to all SolidarMed project sites in Lesotho)
Start of Contract
SolidarMed in Lesotho implements a broad portfolio of projects aimed at reducing the communicable and non-communicable disease burden in the country. Most projects have a strong research focus and are implemented in close relationship with leading Swiss research institutes. The SolidarMed Lesotho programme will continue to grow significantly through innovative approaches. This year sees the start of a large multi-disciplinary implementation research project on NCD care with the aim to have transformative impact on Health care solutions in developing countries. SolidarMed Lesotho’s team of outstanding project managers make a significant contribution to the strengthening of the health care system. SolidarMed is a respected partner of the Ministry of Health and recognized for its important contribution to better health care in Lesotho.
The Country Director is responsible for strategic leadership and oversight of SolidarMed operations in Lesotho, including program direction, country strategy development, program quality, innovation and impact, human resource management and talent development, financial and organization’s assets stewardship, resource acquisition, and administrative operations.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Country Director
- Lead the development and execution of a high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and reflecting the global priorities
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, performance and development of staff; demonstrating healthy engagement, a culture of innovation, and effective talent management.
- Provide leadership in the development or change management of transformative initiatives in the country to enable continuous evolution of the projects and their delivery models.
- Oversee program quality in the country; ensuring quality execution of the program strategy, timely and quality completion of M&E processes, adoption of quality standards and guidelines, and efficient use of program resources.
- Ensure optimal financial, human and physical resource allocation and management and quality standards for successful implementation of the country’s strategic plan and mission and to monitor and report on their progress. (in collaboration with the programme manager in Switzerland)
- Coordinate and link with National and International partners, donors, stakeholders; proactively seek potential new collaborations.
- Represent SolidarMed Lesotho at national level, in technical workgroups and other consultative bodies.
- Contribute to programme- and project development; actively promote generation of new project ideas in the team and generation of evidence through implementation research.
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition and management effort in the country ensuring long-term health of the portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Budget control and safeguarding of the internal controlling system
- Ensure the delivery of timely, high quality programme and project reports
- Medical degree ideally combined with Master’s Degree in Public Health
- 7 to 8 years’ experience in a senior management position in international development, with proven track record of strong management skills with complex programs and large staff
- Sound working experience in and good familiarity with both African and European settings
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic and forward-thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development and health programmes (including demonstrated experience with implementation research)
- Ability to demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; helping others to successfully manage organizational change
- Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration, experience in financial administration
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues. Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials.
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking and experience in developing strategic partnerships.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial and service-orientated
- An attractive benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with competence networks
- Strong links with international research institutions, possibilities to participate in research and contribute to scientific publications
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on health
- Located in Maseru, Lesotho, family posting possible
How to apply
Does this challenge appeal to you? Then we look forward to receiving your application by the 28th February 2021 here
You will need to create a profile in order to finalize the application and attach
- a CV (max. 2 pages), including 3 references
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
cinfo has been mandated to carry out the pre-selection. If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org