Country Director Zimbabwe (full time)
We are looking for an experienced development professional to lead our passionate team and manage the portfolio of projects aimed at strengthening health care systems in Zimbabwe.
Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment
Start of Contract
June 2021 onwards
SolidarMed is a dynamic organisation, with a clear vision on engendering quality health care in disenfranchised communities. In Zimbabwe, SolidarMed has a long-standing cooperation with the Ministry of Health and Child Care and supports the National Health Strategy in Masvingo Province through locally embedded projects in the field of HIV/TB care, Maternal and Neonatal Health, and Non-Communicable Diseases. All SolidarMed projects are supported by a dedicated and experienced eHealth team to further improve quality of health services and drive digital innovation, using Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs). SolidarMed strengthens the evidence base by operational research in collaboration with national and international partners, under the guidance of relevant authorities in Zimbabwe. SolidarMed’s Zimbabwe team of experienced national project managers is strongly committed to working within the existing systems and in close collaboration with stakeholders to achieve long lasting improvements of health outcomes and to bring good practices in the province to the attention at the national level.
The Country Director is responsible for the strategic leadership and oversight of SolidarMed operations in Zimbabwe, including programme direction, country strategy development, programme and research quality, innovation and impact, human resource management and talent development, financial and organization’s assets stewardship, resource acquisition, and administrative operations.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Country Director
- Lead the development and execution of a high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and reflecting the global priorities
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, performance and development of staff; demonstrating healthy engagement, a culture of innovation, and effective talent management.
- Provide leadership in the development or change management of transformative initiatives in the country to enable continuous evolution of the projects and their delivery models.
- Oversee programme quality in the country; ensuring quality execution of the programme strategy, timely and quality completion of M&E processes, adoption of quality standards and guidelines, and efficient use of programme resources.
- Ensure optimal financial, human and physical resource allocation and management and quality standards for successful implementation of the country’s strategic plan and mission and to monitor and report on their progress. (in collaboration with the programme manager in Switzerland)
- Coordinate and link with National and International partners, donors, stakeholders; proactively seek potential new collaborations.
- Represent SolidarMed Zimbabwe at national level, in technical workgroups and other consultative bodies.
- Contribute to programme- and project development; actively promote generation of new project ideas in the team and generation of evidence through implementation research.
- Initiates, leads and oversees the grants acquisition and management effort in the country ensuring long-term health of the portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Budget control and safeguarding of the internal controlling system
- Ensure the delivery of timely, high quality programme and project reports
- Medical degree ideally combined with Degree in Public Health
- Extensive experience in a senior management position in international development, with proven track record of strong management skills
- Sound working experience in challenging and volatile, preferably African, settings
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic and forward-thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development and health programmes (including demonstrated experience with implementation research)
- Experience in the field of eHealth and solid understanding of the potential benefits of digital tools for health
- Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration, experience in financial administration
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues. Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials.
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking and experience in developing strategic partnerships.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial and service-orientated
- An attractive benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with competence networks
- Existing links with international research institutions, possibilities to participate in research and contribute to scientific publications
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on health
- Located in Masvingo, Zimbabwe, family posting possible
How to apply
Does this challenge appeal to you? Then we look forward to receiving your application by the 28th February 2021 here
You will need to create a profile in order to finalize the application and attach
- a CV (max. 2 pages), including 3 references
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
cinfo has been mandated to carry out the pre-selection. If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org