Technical Director Lesotho (full time)
We are looking for an experienced development professional to lead our passionate team and manage our portfolio of projects addressing the Communicable and Non-Communicable Diseases burden in Lesotho.
Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment
Maseru, Lesotho (with regular travel to all SolidarMed project sites in Lesotho)
Start of Contract
SolidarMed in Lesotho implements a broad portfolio of projects aimed at reducing the communicable and non-communicable disease burden in the country. Most projects have a strong research focus and are implemented in close relationship with leading Swiss research institutes. In 2021, we will start a large multi-disciplinary implementation research project on NCD care with the aim to have transformative impact on Health care solutions in developing countries. SolidarMed Lesotho’s team of outstanding project managers make a significant contribution to the strengthening of the health care system.
This position will operate under the leadership of the Country Director and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities
Your tasks and responsibilities as Technical Director
1. Ensure technical excellence
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities
- Lead and manage the technical team.
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
- Lead the development of technical components of annual work plans, draft and finalize technical sections of quarterly reports, and ensure project technical objectives and deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to: MNCH, HIV, NCDs, TB
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted services
2. Engage with MOH and Partners
- Represent SolidarMed Lesotho at national level, in technical workgroups and other consultative bodies.
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health and implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations.
- Support the Ministry of Health, professional associations, other national stakeholders in the revision/development of evidenced-based standards for competency in HSS.
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services.
- Contribute to programme- and project development; actively promote generation of new project ideas in the team and generation of evidence through implementation research.
3. Use learning and data to drive action
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results to inform adjustments in project implementation.
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested.
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches.
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
Medical Degree with Masters in Epidemiology
At least 12 years’ experience in a senior management position leading medical research, with proven track record of strong management skills with complex programs and large staff
Experience in multiple settings managing large portfolio projects is preferred
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic, and forward-thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development and multi disease health programmes (including demonstrated experience with implementation research)
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social, and political issues
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials (Ministry of Health)
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking, and experience in developing strategic partnerships
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial, and service-orientated
- An attractive benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with competence networks.
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on health.
- Located in Maseru, Lesotho, family posting possible.
How to apply
Please email your application to email@example.com citing reference “Technical Director Lesotho” and include
- your CV including 3 references (max. 2 pages)
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements.
- copies of your qualifications
Due to the high volume of applications, SolidarMed will only contact shortlisted candidates. We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your CV.
Deadline for applications
16th May 2021